[Samba] Re: Killing a process that has an open file on smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Apr 6 13:43:02 GMT 2002

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Louis Lam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Done the same test on a later kernel 2.4.7 found with redhat 7.2. The
> same thing occured, when killing a process that still has an open file on

Upgrade to 2.4.10 or later, or edit fs/smbfs/proc.c and enable
SMB_RETRY_INTR.

You should then get a single error printout and then a reconnect. At least
that is what I get in 2.4.19-pre5, and if I do the opposite change
(disable the retry flag) I get the error you describe.

If you are going to test a more recent kernel you should know that
2.4.18 has a bad smbfs bug. 2.4.17 or 2.4.19-pre are fine.

/Urban