[Samba] ./smbpasswd keeps corrupting

Brian Whitehead bwhitehd at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 5 16:43:02 GMT 2002

When you say 'appears in green', you're really just referring to how your terminal is configured to handle certain filetypes.  What really matters is the permissions set on the file and the owner.  First, there are two smbpasswd files.  One is the binary executable and the other is an ascii text file that holds your account info.  These should both be owned by root user and root group.  The text file (possibly in /etc/samba/smbpasswd) should have permissions of 600 or rw-------.  The executable (possbily /usr/bin/smbpasswd) should have permssions of 755 or rwxr-xr-x.  The locations are dependent on your distribution and how Samba was installed.  Check the permissions and ownership on these files.  If they are changing then you need to figure out why.

--
Brian