[Samba] samba printing problem

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Apr 5 06:51:38 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Mlmn kr wrote:

> We are using samba 2.2.2 to access unix print server's print-queue on
> windows 2000. The printers get installed on the windows 2000 and works
> fine but it uses the printer drivers installed locally. If we are able
> to create smb share for the printer drivers on samba server then we do
> not have to install printers on windows and we can directly use by
> mapping them and using the printer drivers from samba server.
>
> However, even on creating the samba share for the drivers, the printers
> on windows 2000 still use the local drivers from
> C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers and not the drivers from samba server.

Make sure you have installed the drivers properly on the Samba server.

Delete the local printer on the client and connect to the printer
on the server using the "Install..." or "Connect..." option of the context
menu thyat appears when you right-click on the printer on the Samba
server.

> Chapter 6 on printing of the Samba-HOWTO-Collection for 2.2.x discusses
> the print driver installation but is this documentation only for Windows
> NT. Because, we have not been able to use this documentaion to be able
> to create samba share for printer drivers to be used on Windows 2000.

The process is the same for NT 4.0 as it is for Win2k.

cheers, jerry