[Samba] Samba sometimes becomes slow

Fiorenza Meini fmeini at robinson.it
Fri Apr 5 01:23:02 GMT 2002

Hi there!
I compiled and installed samba 2.2.3a on my customer's Linux box (SuSE 7.3
professional - kernel 2.4.10).
All works fine.
This is the smb.conf file:

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = STUDIOM
	netbios name = LNXMAG02
	interfaces = /dev/eth0
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	security = SHARE
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	allow trusted domains = No
	root directory = /
	log level = 3
	keepalive = 1200
	character set = ISO8859-1
	os level = 2
	dns proxy = No
	kernel oplocks = No
	guest account = maguser
	printing = lprng
	oplocks = No

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	create mask = 0640
	directory mask = 0750
	guest ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[backupnova]
	comment = Backup Novatex
	path = /home/share/backupnova
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[magis]
	comment = Magis
	path = /home/share/magis
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[msoffice]
	comment = Microsoft Office
	path = /home/share/msoffice
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[novatex]
	comment = Novatex
	path = /home/share/novatex
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[system]
	comment = System
	path = /home/share/system
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[gmpr]
	comment = Gmpr
	path = /home/share/gmpr
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[magisresearch]
	comment = magisresearch
	path = /home/share/magisresearch
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[logbackup]
	comment = Log Backup
	path = /home/share/logbackup
	read only = Yes
	guest ok = Yes

[cuccu]
	comment = cuccureddu
	path = /home/share/cuccu
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

There are 3 PCs Windows '98 which map as drive (G,F, etc) the directories
shared by samba.
My customer works with StarOffice 5.2, that sometimes becomes very slow
while working (opening documents, listing directories, closing documents);
is there a DOS application whose executable file resides on the file server,
too, run from a Windows 98 PC, and this becomes slow, too.  I can't find the
cause of the problem, because it seems to be random.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Bye

Fiorenza Meini