[Samba] User problems with Samba 2.2.3

Brian Whitehead bwhitehd at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 4 21:22:02 GMT 2002

I am saying that you would sit at the client and add the Samba user account
to the local client group.  There might be a way to use 'User Manager for
Domains' to connect to these clients remotely.  This used to not be
possible, but I believe it works now.  The other option would be to use a
perl script to add these accounts to the local group remotely or even within
a logon script.  Unfortunately, as far as I know there is not a way to
manage the local client groups or permissions from the Samba server.  You
might be able to do something with mandatory policies or registry merges,
but unlikely as far as group membership goes.  With using Samba as a PDC, it
doesn't have any control over the local client groups.

Now, my most recent setup is using winbind against a Win2K domain
controller.  It works nicely, because I can manage the accounts from the
server and use Group Policies.  The Samba server gets the accounts via
winbind for authentication.  But since you are trying to move completely
away from Windows for your servers you will have to resort to doing some
coding to get some of the extra functionality.  Perl works nicely for these
situations because there are many Win32 modules that can do most of the
management you want.

--
Brian