[Samba] Access denied, unable to connect

halljay at socket.net halljay at socket.net
Thu Apr 4 20:46:02 GMT 2002

I have several SAMBA servers deployed throughout our organization, and I have
not been able to get Windows 2000 clients to connect to the printers.  I have
set use client driver = yes in each of the shares, but no luck.

The SAMBA server is setup using User level security and null passwords are
allowed.  Users are logging into the Windows 2000 domain controlled by our
parent organization and the SAMBA servers are used just for resources such as
printing, etc.

Following are the pertinent portions of the smb.conf file.  I am running 2.2.3a
20020226

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = SPRINGFIELD
   netbios name = MO-SPF-S1
   domain master = Yes
# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Springfield Server

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = No
#   use client driver = Yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
   printing = lprng

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
  guest account = winguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user
   null passwords = Yes

# Use password server option only with security = server
#   password server = mo-hq-s1
   encrypt passwords = Yes

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[Apps]
	comment = Applications Swap Area
	browseable = Yes
	writeable = Yes
	valid users = Administrator
	path = /hdd2/apps

[SPF_Optra]
	use client driver = yes
	comment = Springfield Optra S Printer
	browseable = Yes
	printable = Yes
	path = /var/spool/samba
        printer = Springfield

[SPF_Richo]
	use client driver = yes
	comment = Springfield RICHO Copier
	browseable = Yes
	printable = Yes
	path = /var/spool/samba
        printer = SPF_Richo
	valid users = Administrator

I am able to print to each of these devices from the Linux server using LPR
without any problems.  What should I look at next?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jay