[Samba] Request for help!

Slawomir Orlowski (Cympak) sorlowski at cympak.com
Thu Apr 4 12:52:03 GMT 2002

Hello!

I have samba rpm's installed on my RedHat 6.1:

samba-2.0.5a-12

samba-client-2.0.5a-12

samba-common-2.0.5a-12

So fat it was working great with our LAN ( WIN98 PC's ).

But we are going to buy new PC which will come with Win XP.

In some book I have found that samba 2.2.1a package would be required, after downloading

samba-2.2.1a-4.i386.rpm

samba-client-2.2.1a-4.i386.rpm

samba-common-2.2.1a-4.i386.rpm it turned out that libc.so.6 is required and this comes with 7.x RedHat.

Later I have found on page:

http://us2.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/redhat/RPMS/6.2/

rpm: samba-2.2.3a-20020206.i386.rpm

what is this? samba so fat consisted from 3 separate rpm.

When I was checking dependencies  "rpm -i --test samba.... "of this package it did not require libc.so.6 but was in collision with my previous samba.

I'm a little confused what is this exactly?

Should I uninstall previous samba to install this?

Is this rpm containing previous 3 rpm's?

And maybe the most important question do I have to update samba to make it work with XP clients.

If yes, is there available any version of samba for RedHat 6.1 which would work with XP clients.

I would really appreciate any help from You.

best regards
Slawomir Orlowski