[Samba] Shutdown of nmbd process in SAMBA 2.2.3a

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Apr 4 07:37:02 GMT 2002

Hi Drew,
No, there is no parameter you can change for this.
nmbd is CODED to shut down if there are no interfaces to
listen on - it discovers this in a routine called
"reload_interfaces(t)"  which is called (along with other
things) after a sighup has been received, OR every 120
seconds (as defined by include/local.h:#define NMBD_INTERFACES_RELOAD
(120)).
So, bottom line, if this code happens to execute during your switch reboot,
causing nmbd to NOT find any interfaces, this behavior is expected.
You COULD minimize the window for this to happen by changing the code
to make the NMBD_INTERFACES_RELOAD happen less frequently, but you could
still hit it, of course.
I would hope that this switch reboot should be an infrequent thing, though,
and probably not worth this type of coding effort.
Hope this helps,
don