[Samba] oplock_break problems

c.m.e.reniers at philips.com c.m.e.reniers at philips.com
Thu Apr 4 07:01:03 GMT 2002

We are running samba 2.2.3a on a number of HP/UX 11.00 servers.
Each server has about 200 daemons running. We want to install this
samba version on our other (bigger )  fileservers. Some of our customers
on the
samba 2.2.3a servers are complaining about long delays ( for instance
with word, but also with other applications) and that they loose
connection
to the fileserver.

When we scan te logfiles, we found a lot of oplock_breack messages like
this :

[2002/04/03 13:43:36, 0] ../source/smbd/oplock.c:(758)
  oplock_break: receive_smb error (Error 0)
  oplock_break failed for file My Documents/HTCE/Voorstel.doc (dev =
40010001, inode = 36296, file_id = 798).
[2002/04/03 13:43:36, 0] ../source/smbd/oplock.c:(843)
  oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.

We find also oplock_break messages on the other servers ( running 2.0.7 )
but this doesn't seem to be the same ( and they don't occure that
frequently ).

What we see in samba 2.0.7 are messages like :
  oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
  oplock_break failed for file msword/psis/word97/template/letteruk.dot
(dev = 4
0100001, inode = 165895).

These messages are also seen on samba 2.2.3a.

I've searched the samba mailing list, and found that other people seem to
have
the same problems, but the only solution I found was turning of oplocks..

This doesn't seem to be a good solution with respect to performance.
Question: is this a known problem and is there a fix for it??
If not, how can we help to solve this problem, which seems to get very
serious at our side..

Eddy Reniers,
Philips Research Laboratories
Department Computer Services,  Building WAY3 98- postbox WAY31
Prof.Holstlaan 4, 5656 AA Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Phone : +31-40-27-44318

Email  : c.m.e.reniers at philips.com