[Samba] User problems with Samba 2.2.3

Thomas Klettke thomask at aesbus.com
Wed Apr 3 16:50:36 GMT 2002

> I have a problem that im not too sure if its a samba issue or something
else. I am in the process of
> converting my Win2k server to a samba server. The restrictions on the
machines here are really lose and we > allow the users to install onto their
machines... the only thing that they arent allowed to do is any of
> the the admin type things, such as adding users, etc. My problem is that
none of the normal users (ones
> that arent listed in the domain admin group) are able to install anything
or change other things. I
> thought that it might have to do with NT groups, but by everything that I
have seen, Samba 2.2.3 doesnt
> really have NT groups. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Peter,
What I understand from your description is that you have the users setup on
your current Win2k server (PDC?)as local administrators ("... we allow the
users to install onto their machines ..."). If you want the same privileges
for them on your Samba-controlled domain you would have to create a similar
group on that new domain controller.
Another possible scenario could be that you have changed the local policy on
each NT/W2k workstation to give users additional privileges. In this case
you would have to do the same modifications for the users of the new domain.

You didn't specify which kind of security you were using previously, e.g.
was that Win2k server a domain controller for your workstations, or was the
security maintained on each machine individually with local accounts?

Thomas