[Samba] Error: session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for ca lling name)

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Apr 3 14:58:29 GMT 2002

This is an old question.
Here is the FAQ answer:

Not listening for calling name
==============================

> Session request failed (131,129) with myname=HOBBES destname=CALVIN
> Not listening for calling name

If you get this when talking to a Samba box then it means that your
global "hosts allow" or "hosts deny" settings are causing the Samba
server to refuse the connection.

Look carefully at your "hosts allow" and "hosts deny" lines in the
global section of smb.conf.

It can also be a problem with reverse DNS lookups not functioning
correctly, leading to the remote host identity not being able to
be confirmed, but that is less likely.

To ferret out this sort of answer,
cd sambasourcedirectory/docs/textdocs
grep -i calling *

Recent-FAQs.txt:		Not listening for calling name
Recent-FAQs.txt:Not listening for calling name
Recent-FAQs.txt:> Not listening for calling name

Joel