[Samba] Domain question

Brian Whitehead bwhitehd at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 3 05:57:02 GMT 2002

If I remember correctly, it reads from the database for authentication, the
same way that a Windows client does.  It sends an authentication request
with an encrypted password.  It doesn't write to the database at all.  This
is no more insecure than using a Windows client to connect.  Samba is a
reverse engineering of the SMB protocol that Windows uses.  I would suggest
reading the SMB protocol documentation on the Samba site and searching for
SMB on Microsoft's knowledgebase and Google.

No network connection is completely secure.  It depends on encryption
methods and ultimately on the administrator.

--
Brian