[Samba] WINS Clutter

amoote at ivhs.com amoote at ivhs.com
Tue Apr 2 11:56:03 GMT 2002

Yah...the WINS environment is well crafted.  I know how things should work,
although I am not an MS guru.  I have the clients getting their WINS server
settings through DHCP.
The "node type" setting you mentioned.  I was looking around for that.  I
couldn't see it anywhere.  (I checked for it on a Win9x PC, not NT/2000)

Anyhow...I appreciate the advice.  Thanks again.

Regards,

Alan B. Moote
Systems Administrator
MARK IV Industries
tel: 905.624.7908
fax: 905.625.6197

                      Eirik Thorsnes
                      <eirik.thorsnes at f        To:       amoote at ivhs.com
                      ys.uib.no>               cc:       samba at lists.samba.org
                                               Subject:  Re: [Samba] WINS Clutter
                      04/02/02 12:14 PM

Don't know. Are you sure that the clients are set up with the correct
wins server (or at all)?

Only local file dealing with netbios lookup should be lmhosts but that
shouldnt be used when
using wins. Btw: there is a setting on "node type" that determines the
search order on the
client. You want "hybrid" which means use wins first, then broadcast.

Eirik Thorsnes