[Samba] Help on Security setting

Desmond Quek dquek at jni.com
Tue Apr 2 09:32:03 GMT 2002

Hi folks,

	I'm trying to set up a share that can be accessed from Win2K (mainly)
clients of different workgroups.  Some of the users on these clients
have domain accounts, others have local accounts.  All of these users
have Unix accounts on Samba server (Solaris 7, Samba 2.2.3a).

	This is a non-public share, only authorized users are allowed to access
this share.  I would like to know what would be the right security
setting and what other options do I need to add to smb.conf file.

	From my experiment, with security = server, only those users who have
domain acounts are able to access this share with their domain
username/password.  For those who don't have domain accounts accounts,
they will have to logged onto their local accounts, but they are not
able to get pass the "Connect As/Password" authentication screen.

	Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
    workgroup = swgroup
    netbios name = swserver
    server string = Samba %v
    log file = /usr/local/admin/logs/samba/smbd-%v-%h
    security = user
    password server = 10.137.1.100
    username map = /usr/local/admin/samba/lib/users-swgrp.map
    encrypt passwords = yes
    dns proxy = no
    lock dir = /var/samba/locks

[depot]
    path = /local/swdepot
    public = no
    writable = yes
    printable = no

	Here is the users.map:

!fremont = dquek	# local account
!desmond = desmondq	# domain account
nobody = *

	What do I need to do to let these local users access the same share.
Would security = user help?  and how?

	Any pointers will be very much appreciated!!!

Regards,
Desmond

--

JNI Corporation - ASIC Development
45365 Northport Loop West.  Fremont, CA 94538