[Samba] Can't print duplex

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Mon Apr 1 16:02:11 GMT 2002

Gerald Carter wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Gary Algier wrote:

[...]
>>         use client driver = yes
>>
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK.  I changed this.

[...]
> Is "gaa" a member of the "it" group?
Yes.  "Belt and suspenders".

> I spent some time on Friday and a little bit this morning.  Using the
> latest SAMBA_2_2 cvs code, I am unable to reproduce your problem.
> I tested using both windows NT 4.0 and 2k clients with the HP 8000 PS
> driver.

I just did a fresh install of Win2kPro SP2 to a client onto a bare disk
(vmware, actually.  I'm a unix user, after all.)

I just got the 2.2 latest from CVS today.  I built it.  I deleted all
the files in /var/samba/locks and all the files in /var/samba/printers/W*.

I followed the instructions carefully on the uploading of the Win2k drivers.
I made sure I canceled out of the initial wizard attempt and I installed
the drivers to the server first.   I used the drivers that came with
Win2kPro SP2. I then setup the duplexer on the server.  I double clicked
on the printer.  It installed the drivers automatically.  I then went
to print something and the Layout tab does not show two-sided.

I used the drivers that came with Win2kPro SP2.  I noticed that the drivers
were placed in /var/samba/printers/W32X86/3/.  I thought that Win2k and
WinNT drivers went into .../Win40?

If I go to Settings/Printers and select the printer and check the properties,
it shows an installed duplexer.  If I select the "Printing Preferences" button
it shows a window with a Layout tab.  That Layout tab has choices for
two-sided.  Setting it to two-sided does not work.  It accepted it.  I then
went to print a document and the document printing dialog had no two-sided
choices under the Layout tab.  The document was printed one sided.  Going
back to the Settings/Printers/.../Printing Preferences/Layout still
showed two-sided was selected as the default.

I'm stumped.  It really looks like all the problems are on the client,
but we have about 50 Win2k clients with the same problem.

> All printer and driver information is stored in the nt*tdb files in
> ${lockdir}
>

> Are you starting with new printers?  It sounds like the client is used
> previous configuration information.  I would delete these printers on the
> clients and reinstall.....
Better yet.  I deleted the client.  I used the drivers as installed on
the new client.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ          gaa at ulticom.com             +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033