[Samba] tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw

Darin DeCounter ddecounter at reviewjournal.com
Mon Apr 1 12:25:03 GMT 2002

We're using an RS6000 w/ Win95 clients and only wanting to authenticate
through our NT PDC.  We don't want to use the matching username/pswd at the
AIX level...if their network login passes the PDC and provided they belong
to the proper workgroup, they should be able to map (is it even possible to
do this?).  When I run through the diagnostic steps and issue "smbclient
//testsrv/ads" (I didn't actually use quotes in the command), I get the
following:

added interface ip=192.168.200.349 bcast=192.168.200.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[ATEX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.2]
tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
testsrv{root}#

Our smb.conf is as follows:

[global]
   workgroup = ATEX
   dns proxy = yes
   security = domain
   encrypt passwords = yes
   password server = *
   netbios name = testsrv

      read only = no
      path = /ads

Does anyone have an idea what we're doing wrong?  Thanks for any assistance.

Darin DeCounter

Atex Assistant System Administrator
Las Vegas Review-Journal
702-387-5230