[Samba] Fwd: Re: Meeting or Event suggestion (was Re: MSULUG-L: April meeting )

Mike Wills programmer at koldark.net
Mon Apr 1 11:36:02 GMT 2002

Since it didn't get posted on the list....

From: Kevin Bullock <krbullock at mac.com>
Installfests are always good. The first problem is, of course, where to
hold it. We would need a large space with lots and lots of outlets.
There almost certainly exists such a space somewhere at MSU, the
question is whether we can get it for any length of time.

As far as providing different distributions, I can provide (assuming we
schedule it sometime when I can be there):
- Debian
- Slackware
- Free-/Net-/OpenBSD
- Anything else people want that's available for download. I have cable
and a burner. :)

  From experience with TCLUG, it would be worth considering to have a
person who can be an "expert" for the day on each distribution to help
people install. It helps to make it look to the newbies like we know
what we're doing :)

Pacem in terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock

On Monday, April 1, 2002, at 11:21 , Mike Wills wrote:

> We should have a meeting that we have newbies come in a we help in
> installing Linux (I wouldn't mind that for help). I am going to do this
> soon myself and wouldn't mind having help to get it set up and running
> for what I want it to do (Apache, Java, Tomcat, and FTP).
>
> Maybe a Saturday would be the best day to do this, we can advertise and
> have several releases available for give-away so all the people that
> come in. I think Debian, Mandrake, and Red Hat would be suffice for
> releases. Any thoughts on this?

---------
Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
programmerATkoldarkDOTnet

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.
-Robert Cringley
Launch your own web site Today!
Create a Web site for your family,
friends, photos, or a special event.