smbmount won't work for normal user

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat Sep 29 13:50:02 GMT 2001

Can't mount share on my linux boxes as a regular user.
I have no trouble mounting shares as root.
This problem occurs on both my linux boxes.
All the commands I show I have run as a regular user.

Here is all the data I have:

smbmount  \\\\JHAMMER6\\public /mnt/NetWork/JHAMMER6/public/ -o debug=6
mount.smbfs started (version 2.0.7)
Initialising global parameters
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
doing parameter netbios name = HAMMER2
handle_netbios_name: set global_myname to: HAMMER2
doing parameter interfaces = 192.168.0.2
doing parameter security = SHARE
doing parameter log level = 1
Password:
cannot mount on /mnt/NetWork/JHAMMER6/public: Operation not permitted
smbmnt failed: 1
mount.smbfs: ioctl failed, res=-1
Could not umount /mnt/NetWork/JHAMMER6/public: Operation not permitted

strings `which smbmount` | grep smbmnt
	smbmnt  <----removed the old smbmnt from /usr/bin
	/usr/local/samba/bin/smbmnt   <----Using the right smbmnt I think.
	execvp of smbmnt failed. Error was %s.
	smbmnt failed: %d

which smbmnt
   /usr/local/samba/bin/smbmnt

which smbmount
   /usr/local/samba/bin/smbmount

ls -al /usr/local/samba/bin/smbmnt
   -rwsrwsrwx   1 root root 323698 Jun 19  2000 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbmnt

echo junk > /mnt/NetWork/JHAMMER6/public/junk
works as a regular user.

I have chmod 777 the path to the mount point.

I am stumped.
Do I have to have anything in fstab for a regular user to mount files?
Any insight appreciated.
Joel