Advice on Win98 -> Win2K transition?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at home.com
Sat Sep 29 10:09:02 GMT 2001

My LAN is running Samba v2.0.10 on RedHat Linux v7.1 and everything is
running great.  Not content to leave well enough alone, we will soon be
converting all the Win98 clients to Win2K.  What kind of Samba-related
difficulties, if any, should I expect?

Samba exports both shared drives and printers to the client machine on the
Network.  Client machines are given access to their home drives as well as
unrestricted access to all printers and public drives on the network.  The
global section of our smb.conf is shown below.

Note also that we also have Linux and OS/2 clients, so I can't make any
Samba config changes that would break that existing functionality.

So... any advice on this upcoming client transition to Win2K?

Thanks.

---------------------------------

[global]
   workgroup = SNYDERNET
   server string = Server for SnyderNet LAN

   interfaces = lo eth0
   bind interfaces only = True
   hosts deny = all
   hosts allow = 192.168.0.

   netbios name = sunburn
   name resolve order = hosts bcast
   dns proxy = no

   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = lprng

   max log size = 100
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
   null passwords = yes

   domain logons = yes
   logon script = netlogon
   logon path = /home/samba/netlogon

   local master = yes
   domain master = yes
   os level = 33
   preferred master = yes

   client code page = 437
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   time server = yes
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY