Windows2000

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri Sep 28 10:12:02 GMT 2001

Bill Moran wrote:

> I'm having a similar problem to Paul.  In my case, all the machines are on
> the same subnet, and the Samba machine itself is the WINS server.  Oddly
> enough, the W2K machines see all the other W2K and NT computers on the
> network, but not the Samba server.  The NT4 machines see all machines fine.
>
> Does the WINS implementation in Samba 2.0.x work properly with W2K?

Windows 2000 doesn't use WINS at all any more AFAIK. I know that it
doesn't in it's native AD mode and am nearly certain it doesn't in mixed
mode either. With the advent of W2K M$ has shifted to Active Directory
(Dynamic DNS is one of the central parts of AD) which depends upon DNS
instead of WINS for name resolution. .

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Rambo