Windows2000

Jack Malone jmalone at horizonind.com
Fri Sep 28 07:33:05 GMT 2001

At 10:21 AM 9/28/2001 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
>I'm having a similar problem to Paul.  In my case, all the machines are on
>the same subnet, and the Samba machine itself is the WINS server.  Oddly
>enough, the W2K machines see all the other W2K and NT computers on the
>network, but not the Samba server.  The NT4 machines see all machines fine.
>
>Does the WINS implementation in Samba 2.0.x work properly with W2K?
I have suse 7.2 here with samba 2.2.0a, an my 2 windows 2000 machines see
the samba server just fine. I then upgraded to 2.2.1a an it was still seen,
so I would say that it is compatible with w2k. I am letting the samba
server also be a wins server.

Now I have had some trouble with a couple windows me machines not seeing
the server in the my network places,  but i got around that by manuelly
setting up the share an its work now. After opening my network places I go
to tools an then click on map network drive an manuelly give it the path
statement to the server an share an it just works from there. (ex
\\horizon\horizon\  ).

jack malone
Network Administrator
EAST TEXAS LIGHTHOUSE FOR THE BLIND