FAT partition served by samba => ms word can't save modifications

Jean-Francois LE CAM JeanFrancois.LeCam at altiplano.fr
Thu Sep 27 09:39:05 GMT 2001

I am having problems with ms word 2000 SR-1 that does not want to save the
modifications I apply to samba-served .doc files ("disk must be
write-protected").
It looks like the problem described with nfs-mounted samba served
directories, but my shared directory is not nfs-mounted.
It is a FAT disk (because my server has dual-boot), which seems to be the
cause of the problem.

This fat disk entry in /etc/fstab :
/dev/hda5               /mnt/data               vfat
gid=1009,uid=13308,setgid=1009,setuid=13308,rw,suid,umask=002 0 0

So all the files of /mnt/data are owned by my user "jojo" (uid 13308 gid
1009), the only windows user accessing the files through samba.

Below is my smb.conf, I have two shared dirs that are configured in the same
way : /mnt/data and /tmp.
The first one is FAT, the other one is ext2.
ms word will work fine in /tmp, not in /mnt/data.

I am running samba-2.0.10 (Redhat RPM samba-2.0.10-2) over a RedHat 7.1
system.

Thanks for any suggestion (except I shouldn't use ms word :-)

Jean-François LE CAM

[global]
  workgroup = fly
  locking = no