"Unexpected network error" copying large files NT->Linux?

Oliver Six o.six at cahos.net
Thu Sep 27 01:40:02 GMT 2001

Brian.P.Kasper at aero.org wrote on 26.09.01 23:05:28:

>Folks --
>
>I've read the FAQ at samba.org/samba/docs/FAQ, I've
>searched the mailing list archives for "unexpected
>network error", I've searched Google for "samba
>unexpected network error", and been unable to find
>anything.  If there's another source of information
>that I should check, I'd greatly appreciate a pointer.
>
>I'm trying to copy files to Samba shares on a Red Hat
>Linux 7.0 box from a WinNT 4.0/sp6a box.  If I drag-n-
>drop files larger than 1,000,000 bytes from the WinNT
>hard drive to one of the Samba shares, I receive the
>error "Cannot copy <file>.  An unexpected network
>error occurred."
>
>I have updated the Linux box to samba-2.2.1a-20010711
>using samba-2.2.1a-20010711rh70.i386.rpm from
>ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/Binary_Packages/redhat/RPMS/7.0/.
>
>Before the update, I was using the latest Red Hat-
>approved RPMs, which are v2.0.10.  With this version
>of Samba running, the error message I saw said something
>like "Unable to copy <file>.  End of file reached."
>
>I have some users who need to back up gigabyte-size
>tar files, and this bug is preventing them from doing
>so.  I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can offer.
>
>Thanks in advance for your time ....
>
>-Brian Kasper
> kasper at aero.org
>

>--

Hi Brian,

this seems to be a bug in windows explorer. Try to copy the files in a
command window.

Ciao Oliver
--
Good programming is 40% experience, 30% skill, 20% RTFM, 10% caffeine, and
5% attention to detail.

Oliver Six, CAHOS GmbH, Cimbernstr. 51, Germany 81377 Muenchen, Phone +49
89 71 01 93 40,  Fax +49 89 71 01 93 41