"Unexpected network error" copying large files NT->Linux?

Brian.P.Kasper at aero.org Brian.P.Kasper at aero.org
Wed Sep 26 14:07:34 GMT 2001

Folks --

I've read the FAQ at samba.org/samba/docs/FAQ, I've
searched the mailing list archives for "unexpected
network error", I've searched Google for "samba
unexpected network error", and been unable to find
anything.  If there's another source of information
that I should check, I'd greatly appreciate a pointer.

I'm trying to copy files to Samba shares on a Red Hat
Linux 7.0 box from a WinNT 4.0/sp6a box.  If I drag-n-
drop files larger than 1,000,000 bytes from the WinNT
hard drive to one of the Samba shares, I receive the
error "Cannot copy <file>.  An unexpected network
error occurred."

I have updated the Linux box to samba-2.2.1a-20010711
using samba-2.2.1a-20010711rh70.i386.rpm from
ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/Binary_Packages/redhat/RPMS/7.0/.

Before the update, I was using the latest Red Hat-
approved RPMs, which are v2.0.10.  With this version
of Samba running, the error message I saw said something
like "Unable to copy <file>.  End of file reached."

I have some users who need to back up gigabyte-size
tar files, and this bug is preventing them from doing
so.  I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance for your time ....

-Brian Kasper
 kasper at aero.org