Win2K Joing Samba Domain Issue

marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us
Wed Sep 26 11:17:03 GMT 2001

Have searched hi & low but can't find an answer in the archives, from M$ or anywhere.  Have been working this issue on and off for the past 2 weeks.

I'm having problems getting a Win2K Pro PC (the only one I have) to join the Samba domain.  The PC was previously setup as a member of a workgroup and, in fact, will join Samba as a workgroup but not as a domain.  When I try to change to the domain, I get a dialog box that says:

"Enter the name and password of an account with permission to join the domain."

I enter my name and password and get the following:

"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain STGroup.  No mapping between account names and security Ids was done."

A user can search for the server (SMB1), double-click on it and login just fine but the script doesn't run.  Since all the Win9x and WinNT PCs are logging in as domain members and are running the script okay, I assume that you have to login to a domain to get the script to run.  True???

What am I doing wrong???

Using RedHat 7.1, Samba 2.2.1a.  The client PC is Win2K, SP2.  The PC name is Win2K.  I manually created the trust account in passwd for Win2K$ and then added to smbpasswd with smbpasswd -a -m Win2K.

Attached below is my smb.conf.

Thanks for any help,
Marion D. Haines
marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us
Network Administrator
Board of County Commissioners
Brevard County, Florida
==============================
# Samba config file created using SWAT
   # Date: 2001/09/26 14:01:39

   # Global parameters
   [global]
           workgroup = STGROUP
           netbios name = SMB1
           server string = Server Samba1, Version %v
           interfaces = 192.168.204.40/255.255.255.0
           encrypt passwords = Yes
           min passwd length = 6
           smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
           passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
           passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
           unix password sync = Yes
           log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
           max log size = 0
           name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
           time server = Yes
           deadtime = 15
           domain admin group = @sadmin
           logon script = scripts\sstartup.bat
           logon path =
           logon home =
           domain logons = Yes
           os level = 64
           preferred master = True
           domain master = True
           dns proxy = No
           wins support = Yes
           write list = @sadmin
           printer admin = @sadmin
           create mask = 0755
           printing = lprng
           dos filetimes = Yes

   [printers]
           comment = All Printers
           path = /var/spool/samba
           printable = Yes
           printer driver file =
           browseable = No

   [UDrive]
           comment = SAMBA drive for user data storage.
           path = /usr/local/UDrive
           read only = No
           create mask = 0766

   [print$]
           comment = Samba share for print driver storage.
           path = /usr/local/samba/printers
           admin users = @sadmin
           create mask = 0775
           directory mask = 0775
           guest ok = Yes

   [netlogon]
           comment = The STGroup domain logon service.
           path = /export/samba/netlogon
           read only = No
           browseable = No
           share modes = No