Winbind slowing down entire system

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Sep 25 19:49:03 GMT 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Michels, Gustavo [EES/BR] wrote:

> Taking winbind out of the group line in nsswitch.conf really wiped away the
> pause while I was telnetting in. But the problem is I need domain groups
> because my share's security are set by domain group membership.
>
> So, I must find other solution... :-( This is really strange as last friday
> my server wasn't like this, only with this new cvs sources this slowdown
> started. Actually, the telnet delay was present (although there wasn't a
> delay, let's say, with 2 weeks ago sources), but winbind wasn't eating up
> the whole system resources.

Hmm isn't this what "winbind enum users" is for.

       winbind enum users
              On  large installations it may be necessary to sup-
              press the enumeration of users through  the   setp-
              went(),  getpwent()  and endpwent() group of system
              calls. If  the  winbind  enum  users  parameter  is
              false,  calls  to the getpwent system call will not
              return any data.

              Warning: Turning off  user  enumeration  may  cause
              some  programs  to  behave  oddly. For example, the
              finger program relies on having access to the  full
              user list when searching for matching usernames.

              Default: winbind enum users = yes

See if that helps.

Yours Tony.

/*