RPC error when M$ browses samba server

Paul Kinzelman paul at kinzelman.com
Mon Sep 24 18:15:05 GMT 2001

I've got Samba 2.0.6-9 (RH6.2) running on RH6.2 server,
and I'm trying to browse from M$ into the server.

If I browse from W2K or NT4SP6, I get:
"\\Otter is not accessible."
"A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred."
but I can browse from a W98 system OK.

Also, any already-mapped samba shares (to a drive letter)
are OK,  because I think the browsing worked at one time but
I have no idea what changed.

Perhaps when I upgraded NT4SP4->SP6? I don't know,
that wouldn't explain the W2K already-mapped drives,
tho I did upgrade W2K to SP2 recently.

I see nothing in the smb, nmb logs, or in the messages log file,
no indication of any logging of the error that I can find.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-PaulK