ext2 + quotas

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Sep 24 11:59:05 GMT 2001

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:05:01AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:

> The quota code in Linus tree is too broken for vendors to ship. Thats
> why RH and most other vendors ship closer to working code. Try using a 32
> bit uid with the Linus quota, or filling in holes, or hitting ^S then
> getting a quota exhaustion message sent to that tty (dead dead dead time)
>
> People tried to resolve it with Linus before 2.4.0  and the patches got dropped
> and ignored and they got no mail replies or anything. I suspect this one will
> be resolved at the point Linus ceases to directly manage 2.4 not before
> then.

Thanks for the update Alan,

However, there are a few things that could get fixed. Currently,
in my new quota code I have to include <linux/quota.h> rather
than <sys/quota.h> as the header file in RH7.1 /usr/include/sys/quota.h
is still based on the Linux 2.4.x code, not the AC patch code.

So I guess as a general Samba policy we'll have to state that
Samba compiled with quotas simply won't work/be supported on
a Linus kernel :-(.

Thanks,

	Jeremy.