Winbind slowing down entire system

Michels, Gustavo [EES/BR] gustavo.michels at emersonenergy.com
Mon Sep 24 10:16:02 GMT 2001

Hello people,

Ok, I am only testing my system yet, so I update the SAMBA_2_2 cvs sources
frequently. That was what I did today, updated as usual, but now I noticed
winbind is slowing down the entire system while active.

A simple lpd restart after making changes to the printers takes minutes.
Opening a terminal window in X server takes more than 10 seconds. If I shut
down the winbind process, everything comes back to normal.

Looking at the systems active processes, I notice winbind is taking usually
10-15% CPU and 20% memory (it's a PIII 733 with 512 Mb RAM) while doing
anything in the system. After the process finishes (lpd restart for
example), winbind goes back to the normal sleep state.

Tha samba side: accessing shares looks as fast as usual, but opening or
making changes to printer properties also takes ages.

Also, I noticed logging into the server with a telnet session takes several
seconds (using a local unix account). And it wasn't like that, some recent
changes in the sources made that difference.

System is Red Hat Linux 7.1, 2.4.3 kernel. I didn't make any changes to pam
files as I don't need domain users accessing unix services. In
nsswitch.conf, the passwd and group lines are 'files winbind'.

Any clues?

cheers
Gustavo