SAMBA is getting overloaded

Jaroslav Lhotak lhotak at design-at-net.com
Mon Sep 24 04:37:02 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm trying to make Samba as file-server for our database. This database is
written in MS Access. Until now we used Windows 98 as "server" for sharing
this database. There was no problem, although we connect to one MDB-database
from 10 stations. BUT when we are trying to use Samba, we encountered
problems. When is this database open more than from 4 stations, there are
creating new connections on the Samba. Result? At the end, there is about
hundreds active connections - the server is overloaded. I don't think that
it bear on MS Access, I suppose there is something wrong in SMB.CONF. All
settings are default. Maybe it can be connected with TTL or deadtime ... I
really don't know. This overloading comes also after reconnectiong of some station. The list of open files is
the same, only new active connections are creating. Do you think that it can
be connected with settings of workstations - but why it does work under
Win98 ????

In the attachement you can find SMB.CONF. This problem concerns to
share named SZ. I tried to change deadtime to 1 and keepalive to 60
but without effect.

Please can you help me?

Thank you in advance
J.Lhotak

P.S: we use SuSE Linux 7.1 Professional with Samba 2.2.0 and on
workstations Windows 98 SE and Windows ME

          Dipl. Ing. Jaroslav Lhotak
              chief programmer
== DESIGN at NET s.r.o. Chebska 128, As 35201 ===
=========== http://www.design-at-net.com =====
=============== lhotak at design-at-net.com =====
=== general info: info at design-at-net.com =====