URGENT REPOST: Maximum number of fil

rob.leadbeater at lynx.co.uk rob.leadbeater at lynx.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 04:20:03 GMT 2001

Hi Joel,

We essentially have the following directory structure:

/images/yyyy/mm/dd/nn

For each day of the year we get in the region of 120,000 images, which are split down into 100 subdirectories to prevent their being too many files in one directory.

The directory /images is shared out as follows:

[images]
   comment = Imaging Files
   path = /images
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   browseable = no
   valid users = root

[imaging]
   comment = Imaging Files
   path = /images
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no
   guest ok = yes

So essentially there is a read only copy of the images which any user can access as guest, and a hidden share which only one user - the processes which write out the images can write to...

I'm currently trying to work out whether we can change things so that we can share out each month as opposed to the whole lot, however that will probably mean an application rewrite.

I'm also copying all of the data over onto a RedHat 7.1 box, to see if the issue is confined to Tru64 Unix 4.0F.

Regards,

Rob