error in installing samba-2.2.1a....

Sano B Rutsen heiko at edsamail.com.ph
Sun Sep 23 09:51:02 GMT 2001

I downloaded the latest samba from one of samba's server. The package was named "samba-latest.tar.gz".
I untarred it in the "/usr/src" directory then it created a directory name "samba-2.2.1a/" and went into the "source/" subdir of that directory and type ./configure and got the following error message..

root at slack7.1#./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O  ) works... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
root at slack7.1#

Ive had no problems with the deafault samba(version 2.0.7) included in the slakware7.1 distro.

My gcc compiler is version gcc-2.95.3..

I have no idea what is the problem... Please someone help me ASAP... Thanx!!!

Best Regards,

Sano