URGENT REPOST: Maximum number of files i

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Sep 21 09:54:14 GMT 2001

Hi Rob,
The message you are getting is basically a 'warning' from samba; samba uses
the system
call setrlimit() to try to set the RLIMIT_NOFILE based on the max open files
smb.conf
parameter; by default max open files = 10000, and the samba routine
set_maxfiles that calls
setrlimit() tacks on 10 additional to take care of files it knows it's going
to have to have open as well;  what the message is saying is that
setrlimit() was called with a value of 10010, and your system returned the
error 'invalid argument'; take a look at the man page for setrlimit() to see
what's going on there.
In general, the number of files in a SHARE is unlimited; where you run into
problems is when you have a really large number of files in a single
directory; this slows samba down in a number of ways, as when it is
processing certain smb requests that have to scan the directory looking for
a file.

Question; when your smbd was taking up so much time, how many files was the
user trying to copy?  And how many files were in the particular directory
that he was trying to copy into/out of?  You said that you could delete some
files from the share and it would work?
The files deleted were from the same directory that the copy was trying to
use?

If you can 'force' this problem to occur, you might want to do a debug
session with a particular client, setting log level = 10 for that particular
client, then 'forcing' the
problem, and take a look at the log.machinename for that client when the cpu
useage goes up;  that will give you a better handle on WHAT all that
processing time is being used for.

Hope this helps,
Don