Setting ACLs via Windows client

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Thu Sep 20 04:46:03 GMT 2001

Thats good enough... thanks

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima [mailto:tony at cantech.net.au]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 9:48 PM
To: Charles Marcus
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: RE: Setting ACLs via Windows client

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Charles Marcus wrote:

> Hi Anthony...
>
> I'm gonna be experimenting with XFS and Samba in the next few weeks, and
> wanted to confirm something...
>
> I presume that if the 'user' in question was a member of the root group,
> they could change any/all ACLs?

I really don't think so.  In my experience you must be either "root" or the
owner of the files to change the ACL's permissions or any other info in the
inode (apart from data and timestamps of course).

Try it on the local machine.  samba can only do what the kernel and the
filesystem will let it do.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein