Encarta install from Samba server barfs

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Sep 20 00:17:04 GMT 2001

Greetings:

I tried to install M$ Encarta over my internal network onto my
kids' Windoze 2K machine tonight; the Encarta install stuff is in a
vfat partition on the Samba server.  The install started, then
quit about 14% of the way through - the connection to the Samba
server apparently was lost - the installer began complaining
about being unable to find the CD-ROM, and I was unable to browse
any shares on the server machine (even after a "soft" reboot -
changing users).  Tried it multiple times with the same results.
I didn't have this problem originally, when the target box was
running Win98.

Grepping the log files revealed only the following relevant
lines:

gamebox.log:[2001/09/20 00:09:03, 1]
smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(492)
gamebox.log:[2001/09/20 00:09:03, 1]
smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(492)
gamebox.log:[2001/09/20 00:09:03, 1]
smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(925)
gamebox.log:[2001/09/20 00:09:03, 1]
smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(492)
gamebox.log:[2001/09/20 00:09:03, 1]
smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(492)
gamebox.log:[2001/09/20 00:09:03, 1]
smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(925)
gamebox.log:[2001/09/20 00:09:11, 0]
passdb/smbpass.c:getsmbfilepwent(278)
gamebox.log:[2001/09/20 00:09:13, 1]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(550)

The source partition on the server is mounted with umask=000, so
there should be no permission problems.

Running Samba 2.0.7 (RH 7.0) with kernel 2.4.6.  Will upgrading
to 2.2.1x solve this?  Everything else is running pretty
smoothly, so I don't want to upgrade unless necessary.

Thanks -- Bob

http://www.malibyte.net

"The weather is here - wish you were beautiful." - J. Buffett