windows printers mounting on a samba 2.0.10

Dennis Micheelsen sak at 12move.dk
Wed Sep 19 15:17:03 GMT 2001

Hejsa Joel,

reply on Wednesday, September 19, 2001, 11:54:21 PM:

Joel> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 09:07:58PM +0200, Dennis Micheelsen wrote:
Joel> Yes. The windows box must offer it as a share.
Joel> Use smbclient -L windowsbox to see if it is offered.
Joel> Then smbclient \\\\windowsbox\\printershare
Joel> You may need to give a password.
Joel> Then, to print a unix file on your local unix machine, type:
Joel> print FileToPrint
Joel> Now, windows WILL NOT FILTER YOUR JOB. If you want windows to filter your
Joel> job, you will have to take a different approach.
Joel> The print job must have been filtered before you send it.
Joel> You might get away with plain text.
Joel> If this all works, you are ready to set up a print queue on your unix box
Joel> which will:
Joel> 1. Filter your job.
Joel> 2. Send the job to a temporary file
Joel> 3. Send the file via smbclient to the windows box.

Joel> I  will not tell you how to set up a queue and filter. That is the hard
Joel> part. Just look at a current print filter and substitute the print command
Joel> below.
Joel> The print command to run once you have got your print job filtered and into
Joel> a temporary file is:
Joel> smbclient \\\\windowsbox\\printershare -N -c "print temporaryfile"
Joel> The -N avoids being asked for a password.
Joel> All of this must be tweaked, of courese.
Joel> There are other ways to do this, but, this is how I would go about it.
Joel> Joel
Joel> P.S. NONE OF THIS NEEDS SAMBA
Joel> All you need is smbclient, which is not really part of samba.

will it be possible to mount the printer as if the printer was
connected to the *nix--box itself ????

i'm a rather newbie at samba ... and a not so experienced *nix-user

so please forgive me if i ask stupid questions!!!

--
Hilsen,
 Dennis                            mailto:sak at 12move.dk
 ICQ: 95538209