samba digest, Vol 1 #580 - 46 msgs

Russ Ward Russ at me.msstate.edu
Tue Sep 18 10:40:03 GMT 2001

Joel,
1. thnaks for the knowledge on the logs.....the dir it tried to write to
didn't exist, so I got now errors nor logs.

>The log is now by default in /usr/local/samba/var or some such.
>Joel
>> I recently updated my samba install from 2.0.7 to 2.2.1a on a RH 7.1 box.
>> Before updating I was getting detailed logs on what was going on with
>> connections.  Since updating the logging has not been working.  Any
Ideas?

2.
  1. I forgot to remove the winserver entry before sending the smb.conf.
That was a try at making it work, which failed.  I have the entry set to
"wins support = Yes" so I assumed that if enter the ip of the samba box into
the windows machine as the primary wins that it would atleast the the box
that is serving it wins, but this also failed.
   2. smclient -L winsserver...on both the samba box/winserver and the
"real" winsserver it shows the samba box, only difference is that it shows
it only as the master of its workgroup on the "real" winsserver, btw the
"real" winsserver is also on a different subnet.
   3. When you refer to lmhosts i assume that you are refering to the
lmhosts on each of the user's boxes.  I have not tried this because i have @
500 users and it would be quite a job to do the change on each box.

Thanks Again