Printing to a Samba Printer triggering a DNS lookup and dialling the modem

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Sep 17 14:25:01 GMT 2001

I haven't seen any other takers so I will put in my two cents.
Have you tried tcpdump to look at the network traffic? Use grep -v to filter
out all the noise.
I don't use PPP or WinME, so, consider the source.
In my windows98 box, I have the option to tell windows to use various
techniques to find other machines, so I can choose not to use DNS from
windows. Can this be disabled in WinME? Putting the linux server into an
lmhost file might prevent DNS lookup up. Is there a way to make DNS lookup a
last resort? Have you a DNS server on your system? If not, consider
setting one up. It is a PAIN but educational. And, it may prevent WinME from
causing a dialout.
Can PPP be configured to ignore requests for the linux server?
BTW, the WinME box DOES print to the linux server, right?
Joel