2.2.1a package requirements?

Garrett Ellis garrett_ellis at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 11:16:03 GMT 2001

I've been trying to compile the 2.2.1a samba release
for awhile now on Mandrake 8.0; and I am receiving
this error msg :

Using LIBS = -lcups  -ldl -lnsl
Linking bin/smbd
passdb/pass_check.o: In function `password_check':
passdb/pass_check.o(.text+0x11f): undefined reference
to `crypt'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1

That is only one of many errors I received. I am
upgrading from 2.0.7; so I imagine I would have to
update many packages in order to be compatible with
the new Samba. However, I've poured thru docs and docs
and have not been able to find a list of package
versions that must be present in order to compile the
new Samba. Does this exist for 2.2.1a? I would like to
install this version; but I'm stuck on some silly
library (unnamed in any docs or errors) and can't get
this installation to continue.

Any help is appreciated, thanks...
Garrett