FW: Bug report

Johan Meiring jmeiring at pcservices.co.za
Mon Sep 17 09:42:13 GMT 2001

Hi Samba Developers,

There seems to be a bug in the "kernel oplock" code in samba 2.2.1a (Other
2.2 releases possibly as well, not tested)

Situation as follows:

If you run a DOS app from a command prompt using Windows 9x/ME, you get an
error that states "Access Denied" if the DOS app resides in a directory with
a long file name.

If the directory is renamed to be 8.3 compliant, the problem goes away.

Also the problem does not occur using a W2K workstation (NT not tested by
me).

Switching off "kernel oplocks" makes the problem go away.

The same problem is described by Johan Hedlund in the following mail.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=99627891325438&w=2

He downgraded the kernel and it made his problem go away (Effectively
disabling Kernel oplocks).

Versions running:
Kernel 2.4.5
Samba 2.2.1a

I created a log file (attached) that shows on line 1152 that Samba gets a
"Resource Temporarily unavailable" from the kernel??

If you reply, please reply to my email address as well, as I am currently
not subscribed to any mailing lists.

Thanks

Johan Meiring