Printing to a Samba Printer triggering a DNS lookup and dialling the modem

Doug Gray douggray at ihug.com.au
Mon Sep 17 06:35:04 GMT 2001

I have just joined the list and I have a problem, perhaps someone can
help.

I have:

Linux 7.0 with 2.4.7 Kernel (with various upgrades for functionality).
Samba is running on this machine with shares and a printer on the USB
port.
This machine also has a modem  (demand dialling) and I am using the
Monmotha Firewall script.

This works quite well for the WinME PC able to access the printer and
the modem.

I am very pleased with the way this hangs together...'cept:

When I print from the WinME machine to the samba printer on the linux
box, the modem dials.

I'm not sure where the problem lies or how to attack this.

It seems that the WinME machine tries to do a DNS lookup (DNS is
pointing outside the system) whenever the printer is used. Perhaps it is
trying to find the printer queue !!!

I'm guessing here, but if anyone has any suggestions I would be
grateful.

Is there any way to get netstat for example to trap and display all the
DNS requests rather than just snapshots as you get with the -c option?

I hope someone can help.
Doug Gray