kernel oplocks 2.2.1a

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Sep 17 05:16:03 GMT 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Juer Lee wrote:

> I think there still are some problems with OPLOCK. I installed
> Samba2.2.1a on my SuseLinux7.1, my kernel is using 2.4.5 now. I tried
> to disable/enable 'kernel oplocks' here.Two results I got:
>
> 1.Enable 'kernel oplocks' In log message, I got 'set_file_lock: got
> kernel oplock on file ...' and 'set_file_oplock: granted oplock on
> file ...', If I only edited that file and saved it on Samba client, I
> got 'oplock_break: returning success for dev = ...' more
>
> 2.Disable 'kernel oplocks' In log message, I got 'set_file_oplock:
> granted oplock on file ...' only... If I edit that file and saved it
> on Samba client, I couldn't get same message as section 1.
>
> What I cannot understand is in section 1, why I got 'oplock_break:
> returning success ...' even I haven't opened that same file under
> Linux box, or NFS client side ..

I don't think this is a problem.  The server got an another
exclusive oplock request from a client.  You should see this
in the logs.  I can't comment more without the full logs.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org