kernel oplocks 2.2.1a

Juer Lee Juer.Lee at raidtec.ie
Mon Sep 17 02:07:02 GMT 2001

Hi, Guys,

I think there still are some problems with OPLOCK.
I installed Samba2.2.1a on my SuseLinux7.1, my kernel is using 2.4.5
now.
I tried to disable/enable 'kernel oplocks' here.Two results I got:
1.Enable 'kernel oplocks'
In log message, I got 'set_file_lock: got kernel oplock on file ...' and
'set_file_oplock: granted oplock on file ...',
If I only edited that file and saved it on Samba client, I got
'oplock_break: returning success for dev = ...' more

2.Disable 'kernel oplocks'
In log message, I got  'set_file_oplock: granted oplock on file ...'
only...
If I edit that file and saved it on Samba client, I couldn't get same
message as section 1.

What I cannot understand is in section 1, why I got 'oplock_break:
returning success ...' even I haven't opened that same file under Linux
box, or NFS client side ..

Juer