Problem with Windows Installer administrative Install and Samba 2.2.1

Klaus Steinberger Klaus.Steinberger at Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Mon Sep 17 00:29:03 GMT 2001

Hello,

I have the following problem:

When I try to make a Administrative Install onto a Samba served
partition, I get errors from the Windows Installer when it creates
directories. This happens with an adminstrative Install of MS Office,
and also with an adminstrative Install of Hummingbird Exceed.

The error message is:

Interner Fehler 2327. 5, N:\Exceed_70\.......

The directory is really created, but the Installprocess stops. If I
start the Installprocess again, it sees the already created directory,
and tries to create the next one. Due to the large number of
subdirectories a addmin Install of Office or Exceed creates, this is
very time consuming, and I was never able to complete an administrative
install.

First I thought this was an Win2000 specific problem, which I reported
some time ago in the samba-ntdom List, but never got an answer.

Now I also tried it with an NT 4.0 client which had IE 5.5 SP2 installed
, and one client which had newer Office service packs, which install
newer versions of Windows Installer and I get this errors now also under
NT 4.0 !

If more debug data is necessary, I could easily provide that.

Sincerly,
Klaus Steinberger

--
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)289 14287        Hochschulgelaende, D-85748 Garching, Germany

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Windows and Gates?