same configuration file

Vance Lankhaar vance at digital-host.net
Fri Sep 14 20:03:03 GMT 2001

On September 15, 2001 09:11, Joel Hammer wrote:
>Is there a reason you can't change the netbios name?
>Joel

I believe you can. On my system, I use "netbios name = savedbysamba" in
smb.conf.

Check out the man page for smb.conf(5)

netbios name (G)

This sets the NetBIOS name by which a Samba server is known. By default it is
the same as  the  first component  of the host´s DNS name.  If a machine is a
browse server or logon server this name (or the first component of the hosts
DNS name) will be the name that these services are advertised under.

     See also "netbios aliases".

     Default:      Machine DNS name.

     Example:      netbios name = MYNAME