Samba 2.2.1a and inetd

Robert Styma stymar at agcs.com
Fri Sep 14 14:24:02 GMT 2001

I am running Samba 2.2.1a on Solaris 8 and HP/UX 11.
The Solaris box is the PDC and Master Browser.  My
habit is to run things from inetd whenever possible
and this is how I am running samba.  Now inetd does
not start a process till someone attempts a TCP connect
or sends a UDP datagram to one of the ports it is
interested in.  When samba is run from inetd, how does
it know to become the master browser, PDC, etc?

It would seem some sort of activity would have to
tickle it a bit to get things started.

--
Robert E. Styma
Principal Engineer