Samba locks-up after a while

kevin.wilson at ntlworld.com kevin.wilson at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 14 11:04:04 GMT 2001

Hello all,

I have setup a friends Samba 2.2.0 with SUSE linux 6.4 and also
we use the linux server as a firewall using IPChains for Internet
access (with NAT).  I have the same setup and it all works fine.

The problem he's getting is when copying large files (>100MB
each), Windows 98 just gives the error message 'Network Error'.
However after about 5 minutes, I don't get this problem at all. When
this error occurs, the TCP/IP on the server also stops responding
and hence on internet access stops. The only way to fix it is to
reset the server or restart the Network service.  However the
problem comes back!

I would be grateful if anyone can put some light on this or even the
best place to start looking. The only difference between the two
servers is that mine is a PDC and my friends is set for Workgroup.

P.S. I have also tried Samba 2.2.1 but had the same problem. I
don't belive it is hardware, because changed all the parts and re-
install linux.

Kevin