Samba RH4.0->RH7.1: lost WAN services

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 08:59:03 GMT 2001

Hi all,

Back in the dim and distant past, I installed the newly released RedHat 4.0,
and set up Samba to be our Wins server, domain controller, local browsemaster
etc.  All worked fine, and everyone could browse across
workgroups/sites/networks and winpopup worked between everyone.  The only
upgrade I ever did to this machine, was a samba upgrade about a year after
the initial install - sorry but I don't have a version number for this
upgrade.

Last month, the HD died so I took the oportunity to install the latest RH7.1,
(plus all errata as of about 3 weeks ago).  I've set up the samba config as
much as I could to match the original one, but now browsing does not work
between networks and neither does winpopup.  WINS appears to work as SMB
network printing still works between sites, and if you do
Start->Find->computer it finds the computer (most if the time).

I've included the globals sections for both the original and current config
files.  If anyone can see what I've missed please let me know.

The local network is 10.1.0.0/255.255.0.0 and the IP of the server is
10.1.1.101.  The workgroup name is 'LEEDS'.
The network for the remote site is 10.2.0.0/255.255.0.0.  The workgroup name
is 'DONCASTER'. 10.2.1.2 is a RH5.2 system set up as browsemaster for
Doncaster.
The connection is a straight forward private leased line running IP, etc.
There is no NAT, or firewalling involved.

Original file
__BEGIN__
[global]
   debug level = 2
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   lpq cache time = 25
   max disk size = 50
   max xmit = 8192
   remote browse sync = 10.2.1.2
   map archive = no
   server string = Linux document and printer server (%h)
   wide links = yes
   wins support = yes
   guest account = pcguest
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   share modes = yes
   dead time = 5
   keep alive = 120
   message command = /bin/mail  -s 'message from %f on %m' root < %s; rm %s
   os level = 250
   local master = yes
   prefered master = yes
   domain master = yes
   workgroup = LEEDS
   auto services = gary pauloleary lfleet ltransit
   security = share
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -h -r %s
__END__

Current Config
__BEGIN__
[global]
debug pid = yes
debug uid = yes
debug timestamp = yes
debug hires timestamp = yes
   workgroup = LEEDS
   server string = Networker (Larry) - was linux
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = lprng
   guest account = pcguest
   log file = /var/log/samba/log
   max log size = 0
   security = share
   ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
    interfaces = 10.1.1.99/16
    remote browse sync = 10.2.1.2
    remote announce = 10.2.255.255/DONCASTER
    local master = yes
    os level = 36
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
  name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
    wins support = yes
   wide links = yes
   dns proxy = no
__END__