Insider query

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Sep 14 07:57:04 GMT 2001

Hi Steve,
that's correct.  Any samba server that a windows client connects to as a
windows username
MUST either access the file server as 'guest' or the linux/*ux machine MUST
have a valid unix user name in the /etc/passwd or nis database that matches
this windows username (or is 'mapped' to the username via usermap file).
That's why your "PDC" access is working, but your 'fileserver' access on the
other box is not.  When samba accesses files, the access is controlled by
the uid/gid pair of some VALID unix user.  If there IS not valid unix user
mapped to the windows user trying to access the file, SAMBA has no idea
whether the user should be able to access the file or not.  Samba avoids
that whole issue by checking to see if the username that is passed in the
smbsessionsetup is mapped (or equal) to a valid UNIX user before it even
lets him connect in the first place.  if he DOESN't, then depending on your
smb.conf parameters, he may connect him as whatever the 'guest account'
parameter says the unix guest account is; by default this is the 'nobody'
account.

Make sense?

Bottom line, you need to reproduce your linux user structure you are using
on your 'pdc' to your other fileserver as well...
Hope this helps,
Don