Host Announcement

Silviu Marin-Caea silviu at delrom.ro
Fri Sep 14 06:01:07 GMT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:45:36 -0400
"MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" <don_mccall at hp.com> wrote:

> Hi Silviu,
> The broadcasts from the computers are how the master browser
determines
> which computers should be 'aged' out of its browse list.  The browse
master
> doesn't go 'looking' for computers, but instead adds a computer to
its
> browse

What I don't understand is: why don't the clients store the address of
the master browser and then send keepalives directly to it?  If they
cannot reach that address, it means the master browser died or
changed, and only then broadcast should occur.

In some cases bandwidth is not cheap.  I have broadcasts traveling a
radio link for nothing, and it pisses me off.  I know I could use
routers, but, firstly, I'm trying hard to get rid of the unnecessary
broadcasts.

--
Systems and Network Administrator - Delta Romania
Phone +4093-267961